Monday 15 February 2010

Analog-Mobile-Music


For one of this weeks experiment I decided to try something out from Nic Collin' book Homemade Electronic Music. Basically I bought a telephone coil from Maplins (£4.99 - looks a bit like a stethescope) which can be used to pick up electro-magnetic radiation given off from circuits and the like, and plugged it into a mini battery powered amplifier in order to sonify the electronic noises and bleeps given off by my mobile phone. I then recorded these into renoise and exported them as a wav.

This experiment interested me as it allowed me to make sounds using my mobile phone in a non-conventional way. Picking up the hidden sounds that the mobile phone gives off, and creating sonic output from usually inaudible sources. The noises made by the mobile phone are always in some sense there, giving off signals which our senses cannot perceive. In this experiment the inaudible, hidden elements of a device, utilised primarily for its audibility, are foregrounded, giving us a new perspective on mobile technology.

No comments:

Post a Comment